Discover the California Academy of Sciences | Plan Visit Today
Discover the marvels of nature at the California Academy of Sciences. Engage with interactive exhibits and see live animals. Plan your visit today.
The California Academy of Sciences is one of the most popular tourist attractions in San Francisco, drawing visitors from around the world to its stunning exhibits and interactive experiences. If you're looking for a fun and educational destination that showcases the wonders of the natural world, the California Academy of Sciences is definitely worth a visit.
History and Mission
The California Academy of Sciences was founded in 1853 and is the oldest scientific institution in the western United States. The museum's mission is to explore, explain, and sustain life on Earth, with a focus on promoting sustainability and protecting the planet's biodiversity.
Exhibits and Attractions
The California Academy of Sciences is home to a wide variety of exhibits and attractions that appeal to visitors of all ages. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- Steinhart Aquarium: This state-of-the-art aquarium features over 40,000 live animals, including fish, reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates. Visitors can explore the aquarium's many exhibits and get up close and personal with creatures from around the world.
- Morrison Planetarium: This immersive theater features a 75-foot dome that projects stunning images of the cosmos. Visitors can experience breathtaking space shows and learn about the latest discoveries in astronomy and space exploration.
- Kimball Natural History Museum: This museum features exhibits on everything from the history of life on Earth to the evolution of humans. Visitors can see rare fossils, explore interactive exhibits, and learn about the natural wonders of the world.
- Osher Rainforest: This four-story rainforest exhibit features over 1,600 live animals, including birds, butterflies, and reptiles. Visitors can walk among the treetops and experience the sights and sounds of a tropical rainforest.
- Living Roof: The California Academy of Sciences is home to a living roof that is covered in over 1.7 million native plants. This unique attraction provides a stunning view of San Francisco and showcases the museum's commitment to sustainability.
Events and Activities
In addition to its many exhibits and attractions, the California Academy of Sciences also hosts a variety of events and activities throughout the year. These events range from family-friendly workshops and tours to adult-only parties and lectures. Some of the most popular events include NightLife, a weekly event that allows visitors to explore the museum after hours, and the Big Bang Gala, an annual fundraiser that supports the museum's many educational programs.
Plan Your Visit
The California Academy of Sciences is open daily from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM, and admission fees vary depending on age and membership status. Visitors can save time by purchasing tickets online in advance and are encouraged to check the museum's website for the latest admission prices and hours of operation.
Visitors should also plan to spend several hours at the museum to fully experience all of its exhibits and attractions. There are plenty of dining options on-site, including a café and a restaurant, as well as several gift shops where visitors can purchase souvenirs and educational materials.
The California Academy of Sciences is a world-class destination that offers a unique and immersive experience for visitors of all ages. With its state-of-the-art exhibits, interactive experiences, and commitment to sustainability, the museum is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in the natural world. So why not plan a visit today and discover all that the California Academy of Sciences has to offer?